[kictanet] [ke-internetusers] JKIA-Lack of wireless internet

wesley kirinya kiriinya2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 17:26:06 EAT 2010

Thanks Waudo!

But why at a fee? KDN has 1Mb for $600. May be KDN can give them a deal for more bandwidth. 5Mb would be about $3000 per month, $36,000 a year. I hope KAA is not looking at making a business out of this-Hahahaha.

If installation costs and on-going costs are too high for KAA,
let the Kenya Tourism Board, Airlines and other sectors that can
benefit chip in. I don't even see the reason why they should
because KAA will ultimately gain when more tourists and foreign
businesses are set up in Kenya because of their experience with the
free Kenyan broadband.

Most people flying around can definately afford the internet but there is a bigger picture here. It's not about making some profit. It's about showing how confident Kenya is in it's telecommunication infrastructure. For any profit to be made or even to break even they would charge the tourists more than they would pay in Asia, Europe and US. But imagine the punch they get when it's good quality internet and free! Then you have a couple of posters saying, "Freely connect to our fast BroadBand!" And all tourists and people on transit will definately want to give it a try. And some Kenyan content can be put in the default page that opens up. May be some nice places to visit in Kenya, do shopping, ...

While they are at it why dont they put flat screens showing Kenya's wildlife and tourism sites. If Nakumatt, Uchumi and Tuskys have them at their tills, why not JKIA.

Kenya Tourism Board spent millions with their advert campaign in CNN. If they work together with KAA to provide this free internet for a fraction of their marketing costs they would be effectively targeting people who are more likely to visit Kenya or people who are more likely to know people who can visit Kenya.

8~!