[kictanet] The broadband mess in Kenya - and I'm so angry

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 08:36:05 EAT 2010

Michuki,

I think you have hit the nail on the head. This is not a problem caused by
either the regulatory authorities (CCK) or the policy-making body
(ministry). This is simply a case of commercial interests gone bad. It
defeats my why the telcos and cellcos have such big egos that they can't
collaborate/work together - especially on issues where they are dealing with
a scarce resource.

Look how long the intfrastructure sharing debate went - till CCK had to come
in and flex muscle. And even now I'm not sure it is working entirely
smoothly.

This issue about a $25m frequency fee is being used as a smoke screen to
pull the wool over consumers eyes and shift the blame for lack of innovation
and quality of service from themselves to CCK/Ministry.

These cellcos/telcos need to wake up, smell the coffee, wipe their noses,
stop fussing and do what it takes to deliver service to Kenyans - or their
place will be taken by others - mark my words!

Regards,

Brian

Brian Munyao Longwe
e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com