[kictanet] The broadband mess in Kenya - and I’m so angry

Solomon Mburu Kamau solo.mburu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 20:23:03 EAT 2010

>From what I get here, the other service providers save Safaricom, have
hinted at moving 3G once the regulator grants them licence. The
whining is not all about going 3G or not but why it has to take long
before a co. is able to diffuse it downwards, immediately the licence
is applied. I agree whether we go 3G, 4G or even 100G, while there is
no mass education on and about technology or benefits of the fibre
optic cables etc, then we are creating roadblocks or an artificial
shortage of internet usage in Kenya. Sometimes blaming Dr. Ndemo when
the good PS does not seat on the board of these companies, is just a
cry over spilt milk. Individual companies need to sort their little
mess soberly. However, there is a lack of a policy governing service
provision such as an active SLAs policy etc.

On 27/01/2010, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I totally disagree, the bigger picture is that we are refusing to move
> forward and just keep creating roadblocks.
>
> Safaricom paid for the license let the others pay, this reminds me of the
> people complaining in Mombasa about being charged for ferry services.  The
> same people then scream blue murder when the ferry stalls mid way.
>
> Lets fight for unlimited connectivity locally as this would directly benefit
> us at the bottom of the pyramid thus at the top can take care of themselves.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert Yawe
>
> KAY System Technologies Ltd
>
> Phoenix House, 6th Floor
>
> P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
>
> Kenya
>

> Tel: +254722511225, +254202010696
>
> --- On Wed, 27/1/10, emmanuel.khisa at kadet.co.ke <emmanuel.khisa at kadet.co.ke>
> wrote:
>
> From: emmanuel.khisa at kadet.co.ke <emmanuel.khisa at kadet.co.ke>
> Subject: Re: [kictanet]The broadband mess in Kenya - and I’m so angry
> To: "robert yawe" <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk>,
> kictanet-bounces+emmanuel.khisa=kadet.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke
> Cc: "KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions" <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
> Date: Wednesday, 27 January, 2010, 12:51
>
> Listers,
>
> Reading the article, there is a sense that one mobile service providers is
> operating a GSM monopolistic tyranny...So that we don't lose the bigger
> picture(I.e the contribution this said provider has made to the
> industry...read Safaricom), I guess it would help for the MoIC to organise
> or setup up a desk where users can report their grievances, and then the PS
> can take it up with the regulators...will this work,I don't know,however I
> believe dialogue is key,can CCK do it,I DON'T think so...who can help sort
> out the mess...PS Ndemo and if need be parliamentary committee on ICT...What
> say you Hon.Rege?I am sure the Kenyan consumer has been taken for a ride for
> far too long and its about time someone sorted out the issues soberly!
>
> And by the way what does CCK do again? Do we need CCK?Can't the ministry
> manage the whole telecoms desk so that we have some accountability
> person...I think we have created structures (like CCK whose accountability
> is to nobody and whose role is really questionable...!
>
> My case rested..
>
> EK
> Sent from my BlackBerry®

Solomon Mbũrũ Kamau
P.O. Box 19343 - 00202 Nairobi
Cell: (+254-0) 735 431041

Man is a gregarious animal and enjoys agreement as cows will graze all
the same way to the side of a hill!

AND

It is better to die in dignity than in the ignomity of ambiguous generosity!

http://dawn-in-kenya.blogspot.com
http://smiley2.wordpress.com
http://mburu.sikika.co.ke