[kictanet] Somalia telecom sector battles instability

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Mon Jan 25 18:08:13 EAT 2010

Hey Harry,

Am surprised the Mobile Telecon calls are costing less per min in Somalia
than what it costs here...

I think we need to revisit this costing thing..., While the
Telecommunication industry here experiences
exponential growth in leaps and bounds, and turn in 'astronomical' profits
in the process, it is worthy
noting that it is time they lend an ear to the consumer.

I may not have research findings, but I would say that in my 'my considered
view', charging even as low
as Ksh 2.50, per minute for a cell phone call would still turn in a tidy sum
of profit for these major Telcos,
as I suppose the economies of scale will shift in their favor to bring in
more volumes in calls. Perhaps we
will start hearing such arguments as regulation costs, infrastructural
costs, etcetra, etc.. but the bigger
picture is somehow lost somewhere in a heap of all these extrapolations..

Am actually wondering why, I should for instance be paying for each MB of
data, in connectivity I download,
and which I cannot even verify, as opposed to paying for dedicated
connectivity on my Broadband modem.

Anyone who feels like pursuing this Service costs issue? Any initiatives
underway to lobby Telcos to do the
needful..? I feel the consumer is getting a raw deal in the Kenyan market.

Harry

  _____