[kictanet] ICANN meeting and security concerns

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Jan 22 14:59:00 EAT 2010

Thanks, it's been reassuring to see the positive
comments about the security situation.  Wamuyu,
your comment about Kenya's long experience
working with the U.S. on terrorism is well taken:
intelligence should be good.  Just hope decisions
will be made based on good intelligence.

Very difficult from press reports, including
video to get a real sense of how serious the
demonstrations were. Some of the video in
particular looks dramatic, as if the whole of
downtown Nairobi was overtaken by trouble.  I
haven't been to the Jamia Mosque, but stayed at
the Intercontinental and been to the KICC.  The
Mosque and KICC are a few hundred yards apart, is
that correct?  Quite easy to get the wrong
impression if like me you don't know the city.  I
am guessing the demonstrations were around the
Mosque and didn't spread more than a couple of
streets, but that's not the impression you'd get
from media coverage.

But some good news from the media today, Reuters
reporting "Somali Rebels Deny Threatening to
Attack Nairobi"
<http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/01/22/world/international-uk-kenya-somalia.html>.
I understand ICANN had picked up on this story a
day or so ago and it had made them more
concerned.  Now we see the story is false,
hopefully some sense will return.

Adam