[kictanet] ICANN meeting and security concerns

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 11:06:32 EAT 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Wamuyu Gatheru <wamuyulearn at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:
<snip>

> There are broader issues here that make Kenya a very weak partner to ICANN.
> A board meeting is being planned to discuss security in Kenya and the input
> of local organisers is not central to that meeting.

I would suggest that your are assuming facts not in evidence.

> This is an unfair set up that is likely to work against the meeting being
> held in Nairobi. This naming and numbering institution needs to be
> democratised so that all players have equal power. Then no one will be
> threatening to cancel a meeting

Who is threatening to cancel a meeting?

What we have here is a situation where the blogoshpere and Twitter comments
have prompted people to panic a bit and assume the worst.  Like Njeri, I
have sent a follow up mail to some Board members letting them know of the
deportation so that they have additional information for todays Board
meeting.

I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if ICANN moves the meeting away
from here.  Let's not rush to judgement.

--
Cheers,

McTim