[kictanet] ICANN meeting and security concerns

Wamuyu Gatheru wamuyulearn at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 10:30:56 EAT 2010

This security issue and the meeting is multifaceted. However, security assessments are often made in regard to context (i.e Adam's question if Friday and worse will recur). I think the answer to that question, in regard terrorists, would be similar in any country. The probability is 50:50. Europe got a bomber on a US bound flight...No one, anywhere in the world, can be guranteed that a terrorist will not strike them. The Kenya govt., long before ICANN Nrb plans, has been working  closely with Americans on terrorism - so intelligence is as good as it can be.

There are broader issues here that make Kenya a very weak partner to ICANN. A board meeting is being planned to discuss security in Kenya and the input of local organisers is not central to that meeting. This is an unfair set up that is likely to work against the meeting being held in Nairobi. This naming and numbering institution needs to be democratised so that all players have equal power. Then no one will be threatening to cancel a meeting (without good and objective reason) where govt agencies (who already have enough to do) are already in planning mode.

rgds, Wamuyu