[kictanet] New Regulations & the Media: Broadcasting Regulations

Jotham Kilimo Mwale jokilimo at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 22 09:58:17 EAT 2010

I think the media wants the public to believe that the government is issuing regulations unilaterally. However, as Dr Ndemo pointed out, the media have previously snubbed meetings to discuss the regulations before they become law. Makali confirmed this by the following statement:

it has also been pointed out that there is an element of bad faith in
the manner the ministry always proceeds, despite protestation. our
meetings, submissions and petitions never seem to curry favour with the
ministry, hence a sense of deja vu. the apparent reluctance of the
media to engage sometimes with the ministry is borne out of the sense,
rightly or not, that you have taken this as a personal cause/agenda to
prosecute, and the public is only improvised as a pawn in the drive to
hem and castrate the media.

In an opinion piece in today's Nation (http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Opinion/-/440808/846842/-/5qd4jt/-/index.html) a media consultant points out that the Kenya Communications (Amendment) Act which empowers the Minister for Information and Communication to make regulations does not require him to seek the approval of the industry; he only needs to consult CCK.

If this is true, it shows the government went out of its way, I believe in good faith, to seek the views of the media industry but the media, for the reasons stated by Makali above, refused the offer. They cannot, should not, cry foul now.

I would advice the media to repent their bad faith in government and adhere to the regulations, especially those concerning content by keeping 'adult content' off family times, if not off altogether. This will win back some public sympathy and probably get enough support to deal with the legitimate concerns they have with other sections of the regulations and the government.

Jotham K. Mwale