[kictanet] New Regulations & the Media: Broadcasting Regulations

Rad! conradakunga at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 13:20:40 EAT 2010

I think the point Makali is trying to make is that while indeed, there needs
to be some regulation, a *unilateral* approach to it by government is a
slippery slope to bigger problems down the road.

One needs to be reminded 'government' not only has its own interests,
government is in fact made up with people who as human beings also have
interests.

Let us take for example Honourable Mwakwere who on record confessed to
owning a pair of matatus. How then can he be seen to be making fair and
unbiased decisions in the transport ministry to do with the matatus?
Remember justice needs to not just be done, it needs to be seen to be done.

Let us take another example the occasional bungling in various ministries
(ferries, school funds, AIDS funds,land allocations etc). Let's be candid --
It is in the government's best interests that such things do not come to
light.

The media too has its own vested interests, and can, and indeed has been
partisan on numerous occasions.

So it is pretty clear that the media's ability to police itself meets with
the same skepticism as the police force's ability to police itself and that
of the government to police the media.

Perhaps there is a middle ground to be explored.

Who exactly constitutes the Media council?