[kictanet] New Regulations & the Media

alice alice at apc.org
Thu Jan 14 20:01:14 EAT 2010

But what happened to the right to receive accurate and honest
information? On the current coverage of the broadcast regulation, the
media seems to be focusing on the political/economic self interest
aspect only rather than the broader interplay between technology,
markets, government and political self-interest and I have not
seen/heard or read anything on the benefits to the public,
(viewers/consumers).

There is also some misrepresentation of for example section 43 1. Some
of the TV and radio stations have reported that the new regulations will
limit broadcast and reporting of emergencies: But that section (43 1 of
the "Kenya gazette supplement number 86 of December 2009) in fact
compels broadcast service providers to provide notice of public
emergencies:

'43 1) all broadcasting service providers shall provide a public notice
of an emergency or a public disaster announcement upon the request of a
person authorized by the Government'

And did you know that the recent STATUTE LAW (MISCELLANEOUS AMENDMENTS)
BILL, 2009 *deleted* the much contested section 88 of the Kenya
Communications Act 1998, which gave the minister powers to "take
temporary possession of any telecommunication apparatus or any radio
communication station apparatus within Kenya? If you recall the drama at
the beginning of the year, when media stuck to reporting, erroneously,
that this section was contained in the new KCA amendment act 2009, while
it had been in existence since 1998.

The genesis of the broadcast regulation is not just limited to politics;
rather, it has been influenced by the rapid evolution of broadcasting
technology, and especially the recent move from analogue to digital
which will transform our broadcast landscape beyond recognition.
Digitisation will enable grater compression of content into what
spectrum we have available, so scarcity will no longer be the issue for
new entrants, it will also enable viewers to decide on what content they
care about to watch or listen to and will depend less on the platform
used for transmission of the content. The same content can be
viewed/listened to on mobiles, computers, internet sites, etc other
factors include bundling of attractive content with advertising, unlike
analogue, viewers can block the adverts, which may make the traditional
way of financing content unsustainable, but will make processing
(technical aspects) of information/content cheaper.

The changes for broadcasters have major implications for regulators, for
example, while digitisation will introduce more competition, diverse
market for broadcast content and enhance viewing decision making, issues
of piracy, abuse of intellectual property (because of the ease at which
digitisation will provide for copying of content) is likely to rise.
Further, there will be need for vigilance on market power of bigger
broadcasters, or new broadcasters, particularly those who have the
resources to corner the market with say premium content like football
matches, etc. So it’s not just about politics, there is much much more...

Views expressed are personal and not a reflection of any of the
institutions/organisations I am affiliated with.

Best, Alice