[kictanet] [ke-internetusers] Re: KNEC giving candidates, parents a raw deal

Eric M.K Osiakwan emko at internetresearch.com.gh
Thu Jan 7 21:47:26 EAT 2010

Dr. Ndemo,

While am all for the prescription of ICT as a solution to this endermic problem, for what it is worth, if you may....we need to be careful of not ignoring the need to make some structured changed to our culture and way of living because they are anti-productive.

In this case, though your ICT solution is fantastic, we need to let our rural folks know that when a girl is 13, she starts a cycle that requires her to use sanitary pads and then go to school, instead of staying at home. It is absurd that in the 21 century, our folks cannot appreciate the value of educating the female spice and we come up with all kinds of nice excuses to keep them at bay. Am sorry but we need to uproot that mindset and dispose it quickly.

I have found something else under the sun, we have a tendancy in Africa to go around the problem when we should face it headon and deal with it. One of the reasons for failure of ICT projects is not because of ICT but we apply it to processes and structures that need to change and because we dont change those processes and structures, the outcomes is zero and then we blame it on ICT.

Good evening.

Eric here

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Director