[kictanet] My 2cts: ICT Parks

Evans J. Nyagah ejnyagah at Telkom.co.ke
Tue Jan 5 15:11:34 EAT 2010

Good people, does anyone consolidate all this cents and at the end of discussions can let us know how rich we are?
Again what is the measure of a cent?

My 0 cent

Evans

-----Original Message-----
From: kictanet-bounces+ejnyagah=telkom.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke [mailto:kictanet-bounces+ejnyagah=telkom.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke] On Behalf Of Nnenna Nwakanma
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:10 PM
To: Evans J. Nyagah
Cc: KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions
Subject: Re: [kictanet] My 2cts: ICT Parks

Hi people,

The below option 'sounds great'  This would be optimum but from little
experiences with Technoparks I know that:

1.  Nobody lives in the ICT city.  People live in the city and drive
down.  The good thing, generally, is that they drive 'anti traffic
wise' in the morning.
2. Most of the ones I have visited/worked with do have generous
grounds, greens and eco-friendly spaces.  But I have found out that
the greater reason is neither eco nor tourism, but creating a suitable
environment for intellectually-intensive brain work.
3. If you want to depend on govt to provide a Master Plan of location,
fine, but certainly not the content and the sustainability plan
4.  The important roles that govt can play, as have been mentioned in
earlier posts will be that of land allocation, tax relief, security
and basic infrastructure.
5. The bloodline of Technoparks is with the private sector.  Companies
that do business there, initiatives and innovations that can take off
there, international giants that can plant their regional/national
reps there, IT and Telecoms folks who are happy to install because
they can find qualified folks not too far from there and the strong
message that the park sends out that 'any of your techno problem will
get a solution here'.
6. In as much as educational institutions are important, they do not
necessarily need to be neighbours with the parks. Even if a university
is offering IT training, the students can come in from a distance..
the most important thing is that the ICT industry keeps a channel and
a partnership ongoing.
7.  The one reason why the park needs University partnership is not
for "social responsibility" as some may want to think.  Companies need
to make sure that prospective employees are getting knowledge that
will make them resourceful when their training is done.
8.  The idea of a network of technoparks is a good one.. but so far, I
have seen more politics at play than technical collaboration.

I do not have a very good handle on the situation in KE,

Just adding a few cents

Happy New Year

Nnenna

--
Nnenna Nwakanma
Director, nnenna.org
nnenna at nnenna.org
http://www.nnenna.org
http://nnennaorg.blogspot.com

This message was sent to: ejnyagah at telkom.co.ke

Scanned by MailMarshal - Marshal's comprehensive email content security solution.
Download a free evaluation of MailMarshal at www.marshal.com