[kictanet] Another wasted bumper harvest

Mwangi Wamae mwangi.wamae at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 18:37:47 EAT 2010

All:

There was an article in the
Economist<http://www.economist.com/sciencetechnology/displaystory.cfm?story_id=14793411>magazine
of Nov 5, 2009 that talked about methods of obtaining forecasts of
crop yields by "measuring electromagnetic radiation reflected from farmland"
using satellite technology.  The article also said that the World
Agroforestry Centre in Nairobi has begun cataloguing more than 100,000
samples of African soils with the aim of incorporating this information into
existing satellite technology.

So the solution is just about there.

My question is this however, what is the business proposition for a private
enterprise to develop this data?  Who would be the customer?

Our system is interesting though -- we seem to oscillate like an out of
control pendulum between famine and flood.  Less than a year ago we were
worried that 10 million Kenyans would need food aid, now food is rotting in
the fields.  Clearly we need a grain storage and marketing solution that
works -- and a strategic grain reserve to help us cope with future food
emergencies.

-Mw