[kictanet] {Disarmed} Re: Reverse engineering - or patent infringement?

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Tue Feb 9 10:46:00 EAT 2010

Andrea Bohnstedt,
Thanks for your e-mail.  I understand where you are coming from.  Kenya is just recovering from the pain of losing its Ciondo patent to Japan.  We have on several occassions lost whenever we have shared our intellectual property especially on medicinal plants.

I am however confident that we can take on China.  It may turn out to be a David and Goliath story.  Often we forget that Africa's population is approaching one billion and the efforts to have Africa to approach issues as a unit is bearing fruit. Yes we must respect international treaties but where they have been abused we cannot sit and simply become consumers.

Academicians ordinarily build on new inventions.  Steve jobs' innovation was built on existing solution (see last week's Economist).  I would hope that our academics would do the same.

Ndemo.

Sent from my BlackBerry®