[kictanet] Software Certification Kenya. ICT Board Project to support the BPO/ITES sector

S.Murigi Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 19:55:33 EAT 2010

Our software developers are no better than other individuals and
institutions in Kenyan society.

It never ceases to amaze me how organizations / institutions hire & corrupt
individual software developers and then blame them for failing to deliver.
It is cheaper to pay an individual developer 300K or 400K for a 3 month
project than to pay a software organization 1M to do the same with 2
developers in 2 months. Hiring an individual software developer may seem to
pay off initially until software upgrades are required and the individual
developer (& possibly intellectual property) is nowhere to be found - most
likely tied up by some other project in some other institution, town or even
EAC nation. How many software developers can resist being their own boss
(ego) with much freedom (to innovate or mess up) when there are so many
ignorant Kenyan organizations willing to hire them outside a team?

On another note, we should focus on outsourcing to help us entrench
standards that will enable us to innovate more. With outsourcing we are told
what to do by our clients. With innovation we create new products or
services that our society and clients may never have even thought of or even
requested to improve aspects of their lives or work. Fortunately we (as
Kenya & the EAC) will never be as big as India in outsourcing. As such we
will move into innovation faster than if India was not so entrenched and
dominant in outsourcing. In fact my view is that we will end up somewhere
between India (outsourcing) and Israel (totally innovative). Have you ever
wondered why there are so few if any major Indian software or web brands
when their computer scientists and software engineers contribute some much
innovation to American software, web and IP Network companies?