[kictanet] [ke-internetusers] Re: Kenyan BPO fails to snap up thesubsidy, why?

Edwin Onchari eonchari at kenyabposociety.or.ke
Mon Feb 1 20:51:07 EAT 2010

Thanks Mwende,

Your views capture the intent of the society. Our membership is quite
varied, there are those players that indeed are focused on getting business
- "onshore" (Kenya); "nearshore" (east and the larger African continent) or
"offshore" (EU and North America) or a combination of the above. The
society's strategy then has to incorporate all these aspirations. The
onshore market challenge is that of lack of sensitization, most local
companies do not see clearly the benefits of outsourcing their non-core
functions.

Most BPO/ITES startups lack the capital to effectively do this(and there are
many reasons to this), which is where the KBPO Society and the government
come in. Capacity building to address the above models must be there and it
need not only focus on local business but international as well. For
example, the EU (in particular; Netherlands and Denmark) have expressed
strong interest in partnering in ITO, we cannot afford to ignore these. Key
partners in the US and UK have expressed the same. We are not focusing on
stealing the market share from India, but from the global outsourcing
market; local outsourcing marketing being a part of it.

Mwende, KTDA and the society (members) can work together in developing this
local market. Please do let me know when and where you are available to map
this further

Kind regards,

Edwin M Onchari
CEO- Kenya BPO Society