[kictanet] Safaricom data bundles

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 08:17:33 EAT 2010

Hi,

I am like many of you a peculiar Kenyan in that I can quickly find 10 new ways
to use a product that the provider/manufacture could never have though about.

When Safaricom introduced the monthly data bundles I quickly took advantage of
the service to roll out remote data capture terminals as I had a new that the
999/- unlimited monthly bundle would meet my requirements without any problems
and at a predictable cost.

So after rolling out the device somewhere in the middle of nowhere, its a
security device so I will not give you the GPS coordinates, where no man need go
again.  I loaded the initial 999/- and off went the device, little did I know
that the place that no man needed to go would need to be visited at least once a
month.

Why, because safaricom's unlimited monthly bundle cannot be purchased remotely,
one needs to physically get to the sim card, my device is credit card sized and
runs some proprietary software.  I appreciate the fact that I am doing with the
service what Safaricom did not think could or even would be done.

I have talked to the customer service persons, they are now more script driven
than before, and all I got was ". . the 450 service cannot be activated from
another line, please put the sim card in a phone and send a sms message to 450
with the bundle size, thank you for calling Safaricom and have a good day".

This what I had asked for in a call centre operator but suddenly my needs have
now surpassed the standard script can Safaricom please implement an escalation
procedure in the script so that when peculiar Kenyans like myself call with
peculiar requirements we can get assistance.

For now there goes my weekend as I need to travel to the top of a hill somewhere
in Kenya, report to the local police station to avoid being shot down, climb up
a 12 meter mast, remove a sim card, insert it into my phone, send an sms to 450,
remove the sim card, place it back into the device, climb down the mast then
drive back to Nairobi.

Regards
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd