[kictanet] [i-network] Internet IP Addresses running out?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:34:24 EAT 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bwana PS,
>
> Glad you are hearing it from the source.

The source??? Veri$ign (as a single private corporation) has FAR too much
influence in Internet governance as far as i am concerned Good thing they
have nothing to do with the root of IP addresses, that is the IANA.

>   There is indeed a huge possibility (theory again?) of a black market for
> IPv4 resources emerging as the depletion becomes a reality (over the next
> couple of months in developed economies).

The RIR communities have worked very hard to make them "white" or "gray"
markets.

> @McTim,
>
> True, AfriNIC is constrained by its policies NOT to dish out their IPv4
> resources to markets outside Africa - BUT there exists some huge "legacy"
> IPv4 space/resources in Africa which I think can easily find themselves in
> this black market (that Verisign is speculating on).

The only HUGE v4 legacy block that was allocated to an African org was
returned (with many thanks) to AfriNIC a few years ago by TENET.

There are some Class B's held by African orgs, but these are middling size,
and fairly few and far between.  I only know one legacy holder in Africa
that is hoping to monetise his legacy blocks of IP resources.

--
Cheers,

McTim