[kictanet] ICDL - I apologise(RESTRICTED ACCESS)

CLEM NYANDIERE c_nyandiere at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 11:45:49 EAT 2010

Thanks Bw Kirongothi for the update.

My only concern is that KASNEB has all along been known for accountancy and
secretaries courses to the extent that very few of us would want to associate it
with ICT courses. I can bet that may be the reason why not many people will be
keen to take up the courses (ICDL or otherwise) when offered under the the
umbrella of KASNEB. On this note I would be glad to know how successful the
certificate/ diploma courses introduced by KASNEB about 5 years have been to
date.

As a trainer of a few years (since Walu and co employed me somewhere), and
knowing our people, I can only see the solution being in a separate ICT
Certification body. There was some attempt by the Late Dr John Onunga. Also
Computer Society of Kenya did something! I guess this time round, Paul Kukubo
(ICT Board) and team should take the lead.  Perhaps work with Min of Higher
Education and Dr Ndemo's Ministry and Computer Society of Kenya This should
translate to some equivalent of KASNEB, established through an Act of
Parliament! If too complex, I would think PS Ndemo, working with ICT MPs like
Eng. Rege, MP, review the ICT Board Act and include the component of examination
and certification in ICT.

My two cents

Clement