[kictanet] Fwd: information on .africa and the lies surrounding an individual's push

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 17:06:40 EAT 2010

Hi all,

Just received this. Apparently she has formally been propagating lies about
being on the ICANN board etc.... and even put up counterfiet letters on her
website - this verges on criminal! What is her interest?

Brian

------------------------

Brian,

here is some info for you.. she constructed this whole thing on lies. you
can judge for yourself. I did not want to spam all but I sent this to a few
key people.  check this:

- there is no African Union Authority!!!! do you really believe that
the*Chairman of the AU Commission
* will have claimed to write on behalf of a non existent authority and give
her a letter in that sense? so maybe she should explain to people why she
has a 'weird' letter on her website. Check her website and you will see.

- here is an email that tells you how she lies! she actually took me to the
ombudsman at ICANN in 2007, complaining that I was preventing her from doing
dot africa, copied the whole board at the time --- all her claims were
immediately dismissed when I sent the letters and emails to the ombudsman,
of the same caliber as the below that she had been sending to regional
organisations and bodies. My fault was to have written to all organisations,
as the Regional Liaison, to dismiss her claims of ICANN endorsement of dot
africa and her being on the board.

- she keeps saying ICANN is endorsing dot africa! how can ICANN endorse a
TLD?? how can ICANN be judge and party???? she is supposed to have been at
the GNSO council and ICANN and understand what she is talking about!!!! she
has been in the ICANN process for the past 5 years and still has no idea how
all this functions.

I let you judge. The woman does not have her wits together I think.

Cheers

  *Sophia Bekele <sophiabekele at yahoo.com>*

30/08/2006 01:48 PM

  Subject

Re:

Hello <name removed>,

I hope your vacation is going well.  As per discussion, I thought I would
convey someof what is on my plate that may be of mutual interest.

Presently, other than my private projects/business interests, I also serve
on the board of ICANN, the international internet governance organization.
At this stage, I have outlined few projects in addition to an initiative
that could quickly put under incubation.  Any or all of these could serve as
a basis for mutual collaboration.

Generally speaking the projects span ICT, public sector governance, regional
integration, internet governance etc..

The priority project I mentioned to UN Undersecretary General was that of
dot.africa (.Africa) which he expressed great interest.  Thus, there will be
a need to synergize and align strategies of possible project collaboration.

Dot.Africa is an initiative supported by ICANN,  that aims at unifying and
consolidating the African Information Society and presence within the
Internet as distinct from other Continental communities.  As such, there now
exists dot.EU (.EU),  dot.Asia.(.ASIA) and dot.LatinAmerica (.LA) as similar
ongoing initiatives.  The present paradigm is to halt Africans
marginalization in this age of globalization.  This is actually one of the
goals of NEPAD, which of course is an initiative that is already endorsed b
the UN.  There are no prices for guessing what would happen if dot.Africa is
not also initiated and implemented at the same time that other Continental
communities on the net have been put in place.

To get this of the ground, it appears from the experiences of the others, a
minimum of 13 countries in Africawould have to come on board.  The
endorsement for UNECA would of course be helpful.   This initiative would
require a proposal to be distributed to the potential participating
countries.  UNECA’s help would be crucial in communicating who might wish to
participate.  Countries that have already have ongoing National policies
that relate ICT as a strategic tool for National development would be the
primary candidates.   Being something that would turn into a Continental
initiative, it is rewarding at best for the UNECA to play an active role in
this initial stage.

As an African representative on ICANN board, I have taken the initiative to
coordinate and see the successful implementation of the project.  I believe
therefore, we should have a meeting to progress this further.  I suggest we
meet ASAP to get this moving, as time is of essence to the extent that the
application for the domain name must be submitted before January 2007.

However due to our travel schedules, we should arrange a teleconference
meeting that is mutually convenient for all within the next two weeks.

Regards,
Sophia