[kictanet] Red Card for the Sheikhs

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Tue Apr 27 00:52:07 EAT 2010

The recent move by Muslim Sheikhs to enforce Sharia Law, outlaw DSTV,
video dens & related activities in Mandera could not have come at a
more unfortunate time. The support they have received from SUPREM
(Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims) further complicates the debate on
the "continued" inclusion of Kadhi Courts in our Constitution.

Now that the SUPKEM has proved to support such apparent 'treason' in
my secular nation,  President Kibaki and Prime Minister Odinga must
also commit to ensuring that religion and religious courts are omitted
from the new constitution. That is the pact they must sign with the NO
campaign if a YES vote is to sail through without question. No
religion, especially fundamentalist Islam, should enjoy the privileges
of my hard-earned taxes to propagate religious activities that may
disintegrate into such treasonable actions as by the Sheikhs.

My vote would easily change to a resounding "NO" unless I am assured
by the Constitution that no Sheikh or Buddist monk, Hindu priest or
Christian cleric will get away with the absurd audacity of attempting
to determine where I watch my Supersport matches, what I drink as I do
so; where and what I can smoke or drink in an independent secular
KENYA.

No religion should 'get it twisted' on its place in secular Kenya and
no loopholes should allow Sheikhs or SUPKEM to get away with such
treasonable actions.

Regards,
Wainaina

--
Sent from my mobile device

Wainaina Mungai
-----
http://www.bungesms.com
http://www.madeinkenya.org
http://www.wainainamungai.com

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life
of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by
being shared. ~ Buddha~