[kictanet] Google = Go, Ogle

Joseph Mucheru mucheru at google.com
Sun Apr 25 08:39:04 EAT 2010

Leonard,

see response inline...

>> 2. Is this actually the case?  If Google removes content, then it's not "blocked" per country is it, it's removed for all.
>> MUCHERU COULD CLARIFY. BUT BASICALLY I DO NOT THINK GOOGLE REMOVES CONTENT "GLOBALLY"

While I plan to respond in more detail to your questions, it is
important to remember Google mainly indexes content on the web and in
almost all cases does not own the website or the content. When such a
request is made to Google, the most Google is able to do is remove the
website listing from the search index but not the website.

Of course this is different in the case where Google owns the platform
for example YouTube or Blogger. Requests to remove content come from
goverments, users, copy right owners, court orders etc.. It is
difficult to give a general answer on how each is dealt with as it is
based on several factors primarily driven by the legal and policy
situation on the case.

>> 4.I can't parse this one, sorry.
>> NO PROBLEM - UPDATE YOUR COMPILER ;-) NWAY, I THINK WE NEED TO THINK ABOUT THE IMPLICATIONS OF AN OMNIPRESENT TECHNOLOGY SUCH AS GOOGLE. A TIME IS COMING WHEN MUCHERU AND Co (GOOGLE) WILL CONTROL WHAT YOU READ, SEE AND HEAR. I CAN ONLY ENVY THEIR POSITION.
>
> Only if you choose to use Google services.

just as we are transparent about our requests from governments, we
have done the same with individual data. If you are a registered user
of Google services you can be able see in one dashboard the
information we hold about you and you have the ability to edit, add or
remove the profile entirely. This is aggreegated information from our
various platforms etc.

Therefore what personal information Google holds about you is mostly
opt-in and optional. Mostly opt-in because a username for example is
required and not optional.

Thanks

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
> route indicates how we get there."  Jon Postel

Joe Mũcherũ
Regional Lead, Sub-Saharan Africa
Google Kenya
7th Floor, Purshottam Place
Westlands Road
P O Box 66217 - 00800 Westlands
Nairobi,
KENYA

+254 20 360 1701 Office
+254 20 360 1100 Fax
+254 20 360 1000 Switch Board (Regus)

+254 722522135 Mobile

http://www.google.com

This email may be confidential or privileged.  If you received this
communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else,
please erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that
it went to the wrong person.  Thanks.