[kictanet] UNDESA 2010 Report on egovernance - East Africa

John K. Njoroge kabogojn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 08:40:57 EAT 2010

Thanks Dandjinou Pierre.

“The 2010 United Nations e-Government Survey: Leveraging e-government at a
time of financial and economic crisis” will certainly help developing
countries like Kenya to stay focused and consistent with our future national
goals and objectives, as stipulated in the ‘Kenya Vision 2030’. The United
Nations e-Government Survey which begun in the year 2003, has been quite
useful for Worldwide e-government development.

*An observation:*

Apart from the United Republic of Tanzania which has go up 6 places and
Burundi (which did not move a place), the other East African Countries
including Kenya, have dropped places in the World e-government development
ranking and therefore a general drop in the overall E-government development
index value for East Africa. Below are the world rankings for East Africa
since 2003:

*No.*

*Country*

*2010*

*2008*

*2005*

*2004*

*2003*

1.

Kenya

124

122

122

126

118

2.

United Republic of Tanzania

137

143

127

131

135

3.

Uganda

142

133

125

114

119

4.

Rwanda

148

141

143

140

138

5.

Burundi

174

174

166

166

152

However, “notwithstanding the overall low scores of the e-government
development index in the region, some countries have managed to improve
their Web presence either in national portals or ministry websites. *Kenya’s
national portal received the highest score in the region*…….” “The websites
of most ministries in the region provide basic information, *but e-services
are generally not available*.”

The Top Ranked in Africa are:

1.       Tunisia

2.       Mauritius

3.       Egypt

4.       South Africa

5.       Seychelles

6.       Cape Verde

7.       Libya

8.       Botswana

9.       Lesotho

10.   Gabon

Certainly, Kenya and East Africa as a region, have a very long way to go.
The top ten in Africa are good places for benchmarking. Looking deep, at our
situation here in Kenya, I believe that the future is bright and the best is
yet to come. Broadband has come ‘on time’ to boost e-Government in Kenya.

Kind regards

John K. Njoroge

Directorate of e-Government