[kictanet] Project Universal subtitles

alice alice at apc.org
Tue Apr 20 19:38:09 EAT 2010

A very interesting project has been launched: Universal Subtitles

(http://blog.universalsubtitles.org/) Please advertise it and help to
develop this idea.
The project is supported by Mozilla Drumbeat (http://www.drumbeat.org/)

Subtitles and Captions for Every Video on the Web
Here’s the problem: web video is beginning to rival television, but
there isn’t a good open resource for subtitling. Here’s our mission:
we’re trying to make captioning, subtitling, and translating video
publicly accessible in a way that’s free and open, just like the Web.

Our approach:

      * Make a simple and ubiquitous way to request, create, and
        translate subtitles for any video
      * Work with others to define open protocols so that whenever
        subtitles for a video exist, any website or video player will be
        able to retrieve them
      * Create a community space for people who subtitle video, to
        encourage contributions and facilitate collaboration
Tools we’re building
1) Subtitle Widget: We’re developing an incredibly user friendly
interface for adding captions to almost any video on the web (without
the hassle of re-transcoding or re-uploading). We’ll be launching a demo
very soon, but here’s a sneak peek:

[...]

2) Universal Subtitles Protocol: A new open standard that will allow
clients such as Firefox extensions, desktop video players, websites, or
browsers to look up and download matching subtitles from a whitelist of
subtitle databases when they play video.

3) Collaborative Subtitling Site: An online community for
collaboratively subtitling and translating the world’s videos (like a
Wikipedia for subtitles).  The site will have special tools for
versioning, incentives for different types of collaboration, and all
subtitles created here will be available in any context via our open
protocol.  The site will exist to encourage dynamics like:

      * Formation of teams for subtitling a program, or a topic.
      * Tracking which subtitling or translation tasks are the most
        requested, and mobilizing volunteers.
      * Volunteers recruiting their friends for help transcribing or
        translating a video.
      * Splitting large tasks into smaller parts

--
Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio

Center of Technology and Society
Getulio Vargas Foundation
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

--
Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio

Center of Technology and Society
Getulio Vargas Foundation
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
plain text document attachment (message-footer.txt)
     governance at lists.cpsr.org

anriette esterhuysen - executive director
association for progressive communications
p o box 29755 melville - south africa 2109
anriette at apc.org - tel/fax + 27 11 726 1692
http://www.apc.org

APC Forum is a meeting place for the APC community - people and        institutions who are or have been involved in collaboration with
APC, and share the APC vision - a world in which all people have easy, equal and affordable access to the creative potential of information and communication technologies (ICTs) to improve their lives and create more
democratic and egalitarian societies.