[kictanet] Who is ICT Board? - Capacity Building

Kamotho Njenga kamothonjenga at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 20:16:28 EAT 2010

Dr Waudo,

I have absolutely nothing personal against any entity or person whatsoever.
The freedom to voluntarily associate under whatever banner is universally
guaranteed and no one can purport to interfere with the same. The case I am
trying to bring forth is straight forward: We stand to achieve more for the
industry if we work jointly rather than in isolation. The raging debate
appertains to the current status of Kenyan ICT institutional framework.
Probably the reason why the matter keeps resurfacing is because its yet to
receive a sufficient blow. The proposal to have a town hall gathering a
reality offers an opportunity for all of us to take stock of the
industry/profession. In so doing we might be able to celebrate the successes
and if we are willing to ruthlessly face the failures/gaps resulting from
our individual and collective misjudgements.

By pointing out certain issues that are glaringly out of order, I am not
doing so to demean any organization or because of what my organization has
achieved. In deed I consider myself a culprit as far as the whole quagmire
relates. My contributions are informed by some sense of reflection triggered
by the unfoldings of this thread.

As to whether I would be willing to work under KEPSA, I would have no
hesitation if my contribution would facilitate improvement. In my humble
opinion it would be additionally important to have a professional point of
reference for the industry. Obviously there exists some variations between
the interests of the private sector and those of professionals and Academia.

Regarding the matter you have cited on formation of another association my
position is clear. I am not advocating for the formation of an extra
association. What would be more appropriate if agreeable is to have the
different associations dissolve voluntarily so that we can reconstitute a
formidable umbrella entity that would have structures to accomodate the
various activity scopes of the multiple associations. My conviction is that
if all the organizations can operate under one roof there would be more
synergy since despite being detachable, all the facets of ICT are
interdependent. Surely, it would be considerably easier to engage each other
when working from a common secretariat than when there are organizational
demarcations.

Kamotho Njenga