[kictanet] {Disarmed} Re: Who is ICT Board? - Capacity Building

Kamotho Njenga kamothonjenga at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 10:23:29 EAT 2010

Vitalis,
Your view on the need to form an umbrella body "from a bird's eye view
perspective " to guide the formulation and coordination of strategies in ICT
sector is quite valid and realizable. There is absolutely no excuse for not
having an authoritative reference point for such an enormous
industry/pofession. But as you observe the process of getting every eligible
person to see the need to board the common vehicle that you envision marks
the point where the rubber meets the road. Its bound to be complex but as
you say worth trying. For any solid progress to be registered the following
realities attributable to the existing state of affairs warrant
consideration.

1. ICT is a multifaceted discipline. It has seperate elements to do with
Software design, Database issues, AI, Web Design, E-Learning, Mobiles,
Hardware....Consequently there are those who argue that the specifics of ICT
can not be accomodated in the wider ICT umbrella. The thrust of this opinion
is not fully conceivable.

2. There is a peculiar propensity amongst the ICT folk to create multiple
versions (splinter lobby groups) at the slightest excuse.eg we currently
have some like ICT Association, Computer Association, Linux Association, BPO
Association, ICT Consumers Society, IT Standards Association. In fact if the
trend continues you will expect some associations to come in the following
further versions: Mobile phone society of Kenya, Laptop Association of
Kenya, Flashdisk consumers Association of Kenya, M-Pesa customers
federation, Windows XP alliance. Word 2007 Self Help group, Blackberry
movement of Kenya... name them. It's tantamount to having more preachers
than the target congregation.

3. A large section of ICT people are indifferent. They love to mind their
own business not the profession nor the industry. They dont see the quagmire

Advancement is possible if all stakeholders decide to abandon mediocrity.
Kamotho Njenga