[kictanet] Who is ICT Board? Hijacked.....TOWN HALL meeting

Harry Hare harry at africanedevelopment.org
Wed Apr 7 09:07:38 EAT 2010

Hello Prof and all,

Being a ³systems² freak its difficult to stay away from this juicy thread.
If you really want to have an impact on the institutional arrangement of ICT
in Government, you may want to have something more than a Town Hall meeting.
Actually more of a process than an activity. Changing structures in
Government requires cabinet approval and this must be backed by ³real² need.
I this case, I would proposed a better strategy that would, as Paul said, be
inclusive to involve as many stakeholders as practical. But before even
getting there, it might be prudent to clearly articulate what we are trying
to do. What are the objectives of this exercise and what are the intended
outcomes? This way it becomes easier to cop-opt other stakeholders who may
not readily see what you are trying to do.

A meetings to discussion mandates and the number of ICT bodies is good, cos
they bring things on the fore and as a point of information, but if you are
looking at actionable results that will change the status quo, this wont do.
I can assure you two years down the line, we might have another Town Hall
meeting for the same! Think about a process exercise ­ such as a strategic
planning session for the ICT sector. This can craft a common vision, mission
and identify strategic thrusts that will propel us to our desired ³promised
land².

Through this process, you can then identify the key
programmes/projects/activities and align the existing institutions and
should there be gaps in skills/capacity in these, then there is the choice
of strengthening them or creating new ones or collapsing some into one etc.
But this will be informed by a rigorous strategic planning exercise. Not a
town hall meeting. My apologies for errors and omissions.

Kindest regards
Harry

On 4/6/10 8:33 AM, "Walubengo J" <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> sounds good. but as Evan Ikua and Waudo reminded us...part of this discussion
> did happen 2yrs ago and could Mblayo share the minutes plse (or maybe we did
> not record?).  Such minutes can strongly inform the next town hall meeting...
>
> walu.

Try

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/otieno.barrack%40gmail.com

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/bitange%40jambo.co.ke