[kictanet] Fwd: Judge Orders Google to Deactivate Account

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 20:16:12 EAT 2009

I agree with John Morris,

"It's outrageous that the bank asked for this, and it's outrageous that the
court granted it," says John Morris, general counsel at the Center for
Democracy & Technology.

who says that, that info is attached to that gmail account and cannot be
transfered? so what happens if the person is a malicious person and has
copied the info elsewhere? what if the guy thought of it as a spam mail and
thats why he never responded? what if.....? what if......?

this judge,obvoiusly is not e-conversant....coz closing an email
account,does not solve the case.

this is very interesting.....and we are yet to see more
 laughable... judgments.

Kind Regards,

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Brian Munyao Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com>wrote:

> Interesting debate on this issue.....
>
> Brian
>

>  --Judge Orders Google to Deactivate Account
> (September 24 & 28, 2009)
> A US District Court Judge in California has ordered Google to deactivate
> the Gmail account of a user who was accidentally sent confidential bank
> information.  An employee of Wyoming-based Rocky Mountain Bank sent the
> data to the account in error; the data include names, Social Security
> Numbers (SSNs) and loan information of more than 1,300 bank customers.
> Upon recognizing the mistake, the bank sent another email to the same
> address, requesting that the recipient destroy the previous email and
> contact Rocky Mountain Bank.  After receiving no reply, the bank asked
> Google for information about the account holder.  Google said that it
> would not surrender any information without a court order.  The judge's
> order is controversial because it appears to violate the account
> holder's First Amendment rights.  Additionally, deactivating an
> individual's Gmail account could have far-reaching effects.
>
> http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=114264
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/28/google_rocky_mountain_bank_suit_rollls_on/
> [Editor's Note (Northcutt): I had to read this, drink a cup of hot tea,
> and read it again to comprehend how significant this case is. Please
> take the time to read the story. There are a couple of issues here. One
> is that the legal system follows technology by some number of years.
> Looking backward five years, you can sort of see Judge Ware's point of
> view, "It is just an email account, the person can get another one."
> Looking forward two or three years, in the words of Charlene Li, "In the
> future, two pieces of information will identify you, your email address
> and your mobile phone number". Bottom line, Judge Ware made a bad call.]
>

> --
> Brian Munyao Longwe
> e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com
> cell:  + 254 722 518 744
> blog : http://zinjlog.blogspot.com
> meta-blog: http://mashilingi.blogspot.com
>

> --
> Brian Munyao Longwe
> e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com
> cell:  + 254 722 518 744
> blog : http://zinjlog.blogspot.com
> meta-blog: http://mashilingi.blogspot.com

"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the
first place."