[kictanet] Brian Omwenga - Thesis and Introduction

Brian Omwenga brianomwenga at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 09:55:45 EAT 2009

Hi all,
I take it you had a restful weekend. I recently completed my M.Sc. in
Technology and Policy and thought to share my thesis with the listers. The
thesis is on a "Technology Strategy Analysis for the  Deployment of
Broadband Connectivity for Economic Development in Emerging Economies:
Studying the Case of Kenya Using the CLIOS Process." A good number of
discussions as well as people within this list contributed substantially to
my thesis and the least I can do is offer a generic thank you to all of
them.

An ecopy of the thesis is temporarily stored at
http://web.mit.edu/bomwenga/Public/ and should soon be available on the MIT
library's DSpace. I believe reading the entire 194 pages may be a bit
painstaking, so I'm currently working on a 10-15 page paper that should be
available soon, I have also attached a copy of the abstract that should be a
shorter read. I made use of a policy analysis framework developed by my
thesis supervisor (Prof. Sussman) called the Complex Large Interconnected
Open Sociotechnical (CLIOS) Process. My belief is that the thesis has
contributed a systems understanding and summary to the question of broadband
deployment, paying particular emphasis to the open system quality of
broadband deployment. It may be taken as a treatise or foundation for
further analysis of broadband using engineering analysis tools in the
development and evaluation of a strategy.

I'm back in the country now working part time at the Nokia Research Center.
I will definitely be more active within the list now and I would like to
hear your comments on the thesis in addition to those of Dr. Warigia and Mr.
Kisia who graciously accepted to be my thesis readers. I also look forward
to seeing most if not all of you in the near future.

Thanks again,
Brian G. Omwenga.