[kictanet] East African Fiber Summit

aki aki275 at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 11 08:26:02 EAT 2009

Good morning, I'm a techie and a regular contributor on skunkslist. I'd like
to add some contributions. Any views below are personal and not meant to
cause any negative actions etc.. :-)

I received an email attachment on the above subject detailing the program of
the event. Though I'm not in a position to attend, I wanted to share my
thoughts. After reviewing it, the program does not seem to hold much on what
and where fiber should be heading in kenya. The program seems to revolve
around a concept " when fiber arrives ". There are many excellent
contributors on the program list and I hope that the summit will take things
to much higher levels of discussion and focus on progress development
through commitments. As I mentioned in my earlier contributions on other
lists, Kdn and Safaricom ( including Onecom ) made history on July 27th.
Safaricom took it further by holding event meetings for cyber owners outside
Nairobi while Kdn was also able to push seacom packets all the way to the
ugandan border. The summit should, in my view, present the strategies and
solutions on offer based on techology, expansion and deployment of the fiber
Nationally and across the border.

This also brings me to my second point of contribution : TATA and Point of
Presence in kenya :

I was quite glad when recently TATA announced that they would be putting up
a POP in kenya for tiered services. To have this pop in kenya was quite an
important achievement and goes to show that Fiber will make Kenya a
communications regional hub for the region. However, it has recently
announced that TATA have gone with Access Kenya on this development. While I
have nothing against any service provider or in this case Access Kenya, I
believe that TATA have have made a disappointing start on the POP. As far as
I know, Access Kenya does not at the moment represent itself as a National
Operator nor does its services spread nationally nor across the border into
Uganda or Rwanda. I'd have thought that TATA would be considering KDN, TKL
or even Safaricom ( Onecom ) for its POP. I hope in future POP operators do
realise the impact of their decisions.

Corrections are welcome.

Rgds.