[kictanet] The Way Forward...my 2 bob... WAS: Re: Invitation: 2009 EA-IGF, 7-9 September 2009, Nairobi, Kenya

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Sep 10 23:10:39 EAT 2009

Hi,

I very much enjoyed the EA-IGF, the process from
online discussions through national IGFs and the
regional meeting is by far the most progressive
model of any of the national/regional IGFs taking
place around the world.

Different IGFs have different qualities,
something I picked up from the Caribbean IGF a
few weeks ago
<http://www.ctu.int/internetgovernance> was a
regional effort to develop an Internet governance
policy framework. The framework document attempts
to capture the key issues discussed in C-IGF
meetings to date, and presents a guide of
harmonised national and regional policies and
best practices.  The framework takes each issue,
lists recommendations, priorities made by the
C-IGFs on the issue, and identifies entities with
responsibility for each issue.  It is not a
highly detailed document, but does its job in
providing a useful guide.

The EA-IGF is more sophisticated in terms of
dialogue and multistakeholder contributions (the
basic goals of the IGF process), but perhaps
attempting to develop framework that's similar
to, or follows the model of the C-IGF would be
helpful. Particularly as something to ensure the
dialogue between the countries continues from now
and the time when the 2010 meeting process starts
to roll.

Very good to have seen many of you over the past
few days.  The EA-IGF has been excellent.

Best,

Adam