[kictanet] Kenya: Consumers furious over high internet prices

Grace Bomu nmutungu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 11:55:02 EAT 2009

Interesting debate....
I am an Internet user, NYC IV member, partner for change who was invited to
EA IGF through these lists. I do agree that there are a lot of consumer
issues and for sure we need a strong civil society movement to lobby. But
why did you not come to the EA IGF? Those of us who were there stood up and
asked the questions. Shall we always complain as users or shall we attend
whatever fora there are and make our contributions?  Shall we ever even meet
face to face as the consumer/users movement or shall we keep hiding behind
the online discussions to complain insistently?
Stand and be counted!

Bomu

2009/9/10 Onyango Hatari <onyango at inbox.com>

> Sammy
>
> Thanks alot for the insight. I agree with you on many points but I chose to
> be blunt because all the time Michael Joseph has been talking its been about
> Kenyans and their peculiar habits and if you have attended any press
> conference you will know how Michael Joseph takes it personally. Michael
> Joseph should know that Kenyans and Kenyan Internet consumers are two
> different things because not all Kenyans use Safaricom Internet service and
> thats why we will respond to him personally the moment he becomes arrogant
> and feelingless.
>
> On EA IGF. KICTANET decided on many issues which locks out stakeholders.
> Who is the major stakeholders and dependants on the internet in Kenya? Did
> we see Mashada owners and administrators invited, Skunkworks, Young
> Professionals, BidiiAfrica, Mama Mikes, Kenya Imagine, Home Boyz, NYC IV,
> babatoto.com, and many others who depends on the internet and even those
> who understand more about internet issues and have more stake and not the
> usual Nation Media, Safaricom and Capital FM.
>
> The moment we discriminate with invitation then you create an opportunity
> for rebelion and people dont view you well. We want to see the young people
> operating various social media invited and take the podium as main speakers
> and then we get the government and private sector also to respond. Otherwise
> I dont need to attend the EA IGF because let me tell you that it will never
> unite and you will never have one voice with teh current discriminating
> attitude from KICTANET and the government
>
> About recession, no ISP who is refusing to lower cost is talking about
> recession. None. We want them to give us figures and the losses they are
> making or see themselves make when they lower the costs.
>
> Nobody will seperate personality from issues as long as personality
> generalise and attack population when face with issues
>
> OH

Grace L.N. Mutung'u (Bomu)
+254721898732
+254736091242