[kictanet] Uproar Over Internet Costs in Kenya

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 31 08:47:42 EAT 2009

Eric,

trust me its true...KDN is pushing bandwidth at very competitive rates to the so called 'end-users'.  But at 200USD that is about  15,000Ksh per 1MB which is TWICE the average salaries of Kenyan citizens(mwananchi).  Meaning the 'end-users' defined here are NOT mwananchi but corporates/SMEs, etc. Put differently KDN really plays at the wholesale layer (Kai may object but...) and their price drops are being enjoyed mostly by retailers (ISP/ASP).

We shall only celebrate meaningful and effective price-drops when for example AccessKenya/UUNET/Safcom etc say they are giving you unlimited 1MB links at around 2USD (Ksh 150) per month - if we are to take developed economies GDP per capita and their pricing for monthly broadband internet  and recalculating for  our context.

But I always have the rejoinder that I will understand if this does not happen tomorrow - since we are really are yet to mature the parameters that guarantee such wishful pricing. However, we should have specific plans that define the steps and timelines we are undertaking to mature such parameters - local content, affordable last-mile access, IXPs, Usage,  just to mention a few.

walu.