[kictanet] Telecoms firms oppose 1pc universal fund

Akich Kwach kwach at archway-productions.com
Wed Oct 28 10:12:15 EAT 2009

McTim,
Such a loan model has been successful in the Cooperative movement for years
and the sector remains as one of the key economic drivers in the country.
All SACCOs remit certain fees to KUSCO (the regulator) which besides using
the fund to develop the sector, lends part of it to SACCOs at a special
rate. This is a homegrown model and i believe it works. Besides that levy/
fund would be adding more or direct value to the operators as compared to
other taxes such as VAT, e.t.c. which though equally important, they are
used for general govt expenditure.

These are my thoughts

Akich Kwach