[kictanet] The future of the IGF

alice alice at apc.org
Tue Oct 20 01:58:34 EAT 2009

    http://blog.nominet.org.uk/ukigf/2009/09/the-future-of-the-igf/

    The future of the IGF

Posted by: Nick Thorne
<http://blog.nominet.org.uk/ukigf/category/uncategorized/>

*The UN Internet Governance Forum will meet in November at Sharm El
Sheikh. The IGF has matured into a useful tool. But it is under threat.
Stakeholders should speak up!*

**

**It’s IGF season again. Representatives of key stakeholders are meeting
again in Geneva to prepare the ground for the forthcoming fourth meeting
of a body that has turned out to be considerably more useful than those
of us involved in its invention expected. But despite its success, the
future of this, the only multi-stakeholder forum available to consider
Internet Governance, is under threat. If we want it to continue then we
all, we /multi-stakeholders/, must speak up and demonstrate how and why
we find it useful.

These issues were highlighted last week at the excellent East African
Internet Governance Forum. Very well run, with solid participation from
regional governments, CCTLD’s, Civil Society and Industry. A novelty was
a special session for Parliamentarians. I argued that Members of
Parliament had a vital role to play and should consider themselves
internationally as another /stakeholder/ group. They knew what their
constituents needed, and were best placed to put pressure on governments
and resist unnecessarily restrictive legislation, which might stifle the
benefits of the Internet as we have come to know it.

All this was taking place in Nairobi, against the background of the
remarkable progress being made in Broad Band connectivity in Kenya. No
less than four undersea fibre-optic cables will be coming on shore in
the coming two years. One has already landed and will be coupled to
links reaching beyond the immediate East African region and north to
Ethiopia and South Sudan. We talked about various different methods for
distributing links beyond the cable proper. Wi-Max systems will link up
the smallest municipalities with all the attendant benefits. Exciting
stuff. It will be fascinating to see how these cables will spread their
invaluable tentacles throughout the region. Can there be a more
effective multiplier for economic and social development?

In Nairobi we also discussed the proposal for a Commonwealth IGF,
designed to take advantage of that unique coalition of like-minded
countries of all sizes, shapes and stages of development. The
Commonwealth Secretariat is active in support of this initiative and
side-events are planned for Sharm El Sheikh. Something else which will
be raised in Geneva this week where representatives from Commonwealth
countries will consider how best to share experiences and best practice
across the broadest possible range of ideas.

But governments are only one element of the unique /multi stakeholder/
approach to which many of us attribute the phenomenal success of the
Internet. And not all the influences are positive.

At WSIS, when we created the IGF, we also agreed that there should be a
programme of “enhanced cooperation” among all the actors involved in
Internet Governance. The UN Secretary General was asked to produce a
report on how matters might be improved, possibly with recommendations.

I think this report was supposed to be produced after about a year, but
it eventually appeared a couple of months ago in the form of a
compilation of the views of interested parties which had been called
upon to contribute. It included submissions from e.g. the Internet
Society, ICANN, and also from the International Telecommunications Union
(ITU). In each case the views and ambitions of the authors were made
very clear. I would recommend that all those interested in the
continuation of liberal internet governance look at this report, and in
particular the views of the ITU Secretariat.
[http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/un-dpadm/unpan035383.pdf
I say Secretariat because I understand the contribution was not
necessarily cleared in advance with its membership. Nevertheless it
would appear to be a clear statement, as it were, of intent, and should
serve to encourage us to work harder to ensure that the IGF mechanism
will continue to give all parties, all /stakeholders/, an opportunity to
express their views.

This should of course include developing countries whose interests are I
believe much better served by this liberal approach rather than by the
repetition of the sort of government driven bureaucratic rules
previously deemed appropriate for the old telecoms system. I think our
experience in Kenya last week amply demonstrated this.

And so I was delighted when the Kenyan Government formally announced its
intention to host the IGF in the year 2011. (Next years event is already
fixed for Vilnius, Lithuania). This guarantee of continuity is very
important as we face the five-year review process built in to the WSIS
decisions. I am a great believer in such reviews. Too often we create
mechanisms which trundle along, impelled only by their own bureaucratic
existence. Not so with the IGF which has demonstrated a real vitality as
all the previous meetings, and in particular Rio (2007) and last year
Hyderabad have shown. And all with only the most limited bureaucratic
support. “Secretariat-lite!” Well done Markus Kummer!

Nevertheless there are still those who for a variety of reasons seek
either to supplant or suppress this useful mechanism. If we are to
maintain this admirable energy we must all, all we /multi-stakeholders/,
redouble our efforts to renew the mandate of the IGF. Some governments
are doing their best, but I would like to hear more from Industry, and
from Civil Society, particularly among developing countries where most
of the next billion Internet users reside. We should all speak up to
announce that we all still have much to learn from each other, through
Sharm El Sheikh, then Vilnius and on to Nairobi in 2011.

Nick Thorne

Les Augers.

September 2009

(Nick Thorne CMG was UK Ambassador to the UN in Geneva from 2003to 2008
and led the UK and the EU at the Tunis WSIS Summit. He now consults on
Internet Governance issues and is International Relations Adviser to the
President and CEO of ICANN. )

Tags: Commonwealth IGF
<http://blog.nominet.org.uk/ukigf/tag/commonwealth-igf/>, East African
IGF <http://blog.nominet.org.uk/ukigf/tag/east-african-igf/>, IGF