[kictanet] TEAMS and Open ended circuit

Kai Wulff kai.wulff at kdn.co.ke
Fri Oct 2 09:26:39 EAT 2009

Robert,

TEAMS as a cable terminates in a cable station owned and operated by Etisalat in the U.A.E. from there every operator on TEAMS has to acquire a Cross-Connect to a cable system of his choice.

Like KDN is cross connecting 3/4 of our capacity onto a cable system that terminates us into London Telehouse and 1/4 we take to Singapore. This is done for redundancy.

At both locations we once more "but IP" meaning we are paying peering charges to the world's largest IP provides like PCCW, Level3, Interroute ...

So in brief:

Seacom costs:

Cost of capacity on the Seacom Cable + OaM + Hosting in London (and staff) + Peering in London

TEAMS costs:

Cable cost to U.A.E + OaM. + Cross connect charges to Etisalat + co-location + Onward Capacity + Hosting in London and Singapore + IP charge

Surely we would liked to have no cross connect charge in the U.A.E. but this is the reality.

Rgds

Kai