[kictanet] Taking stock and way forward session @ IGF2009- Sharm-El-Sheikh

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 20:13:36 EAT 2009

here is an extract from Hon. Poghisio's speech during the taking stock and
way forward....

you can follow on the links below on what happened, especially concerning
the desirability of IGF continuation...

I have my favorite extracts from the speeches......but will keep them that
way...'my favorites'..for now :-).

>>SAMUEL POGHISIO: Ladies and gentlemen, after four years of IGF, it's now
time to reflect on what we have achieved so far and the future of this
forum.
As we deliberate on the five-year life span, whether it's adequate or not,
it's
important for us to think of the need for continuation of this coordinated
mechanism to harness contributions from all Internet stakeholders.
Kenya has established the process -- this process at a national level and
has
also pioneered the same at the subregional and regional level, and we've
found
the following.
A, that with inspiration of the national IGFs, we are able to identify local
level Internet governance issues that then form the building blocks for the
regional level. The East African Internet governance forum, which is now on
its
second year.
And B, the following, that the level of sensitization of various Internet
governance issues is now high. We are now very much aware of the governance
issues from management of critical Internet resources, more specifically
strengthening our country's code top level domain, ccTLDs, to develop the
strategies for handling cybercrime and creating universal, affordable access
ICTs. This has been an important lesson for us, and we see an even better
opportunity in the future.
We support the extension of the IGF and particularly the multistakeholder
processes underpinning it, and we believe it is important for us to continue
the
constructive discussions and the debates and open exchange of ideas.
However,
there are a number of things that we may want to see changed.
One, allocation of adequate resources to IGF Secretariat and its ability to
function.
Two, the support for regional and national IGFs, with clear mechanisms of
inclusion and integration of the global IGF. The EA IGF which is the East
African IGF wishes to contribute and impact on how the IGF could achieve
more
practical and useful outcomes growing from local and regional lessons.
Provisions of deep analysis of discussions on thematic areas to provide a
framework. This will not -- this will not only allow for broad and
structured
discussions but also harness the potential for all to get value out of our
process.
Lastly, Kenya is proud to be hosting the ICANN 2010 Africa meeting in
Nairobi
in March 7th through 12th and we look forward to hosting you all at the 2011
IGF. I thank you.

http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/2009/sharm_el_Sheikh/Transcripts/Sharm%20El%20Sheikh%2018%20November%20Stock%20Taking%20Part%20I.pdf

<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/2009/sharm_el_Sheikh/Transcripts/Sharm%20El%20Sheikh%2018%20November%20Stock%20Taking%20Part%20I.pdf>
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/2009/sharm_el_Sheikh/Transcripts/Sharm%20El%20Sheikh%2018%20November%202009%20Stock%20Taking%20II.pdf

<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/2009/sharm_el_Sheikh/Transcripts/Sharm%20El%20Sheikh%2018%20November%202009%20Stock%20Taking%20II.pdf>Kind
Regards,
--
"It is time,Africans moved from a knowledge based society to a wise society"
Dr. Nii Quaynor