[kictanet] Africa's Absence From The Table

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Tue Nov 17 10:29:21 EAT 2009

Hi Rad! Is the awareness of such opportunities done? Maybe one
needs to raise the alert before rather than after the horse
bolts!?

Kind Regards,
Waudo

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:09 +0300, "Rad!" <conradakunga at gmail.com>
wrote:

  I was reading this article
  [1]http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/and-google-code-jam-
  2009-champion-is.html and I found the following bit very
  disturbing

  Last week, we hosted the the final round of [2]Google Code Jam
  2009, the sixth iteration of our annual global programming
  competition. From almost 23,000 registrants in the beginning,
  we [3]winnowed down the contestants to the fastest and most
  fervent coders. On Friday, we brought the top 23 competitors
  to our Mountain View headquarters for four concentrated hours
  of thinking, testing and trouble-shooting. The competition
  platform, built as a 20% project by a group of Google
  engineers, was powered by [4]Google App Engine and allowed the
  contestants to use the programming language of their choice.
  These diverse finalists represented 15 different countries
  across Europe, Asia and the Americas.

  Notice Africa is not mentioned there. Why is this the case?
  Why aren't our students participating in such initiatives?