[kictanet] 4th IGF live reporting-Update...ICANN squares off with ITU

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 15:44:14 EAT 2009

Walu,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanx Mwende for the link,
>
> ...but cant help but share what transpired in today's morning session in
> the Plenary.  The discussion on critical internet resources brought out the
> daggers from both ITU (Internaitional Telcomms Union) and ICANN (Internet
> Coporation for Assigned Names and Numbers).

Indeed, good theatre!

> ICANN currently controls the management of IP numbers,

You are almost correct, it's really the RIR communities who "control the
management". IANA is the Central Registry, and IANA is run under contract
from the USA.

the unique identifiers necessary to connect devices on the internet - and as
> the current numbers (ver 4) continue getting depleted, ITU (read
> governments/regulators) have seen an opportunity to grab control over the
> next version of numbers (ver 6).  ITU basically feels that the monopoly
> ICANN has over the management of IP numbers should be broken - and equitably
> distributed accross governments, to be managed ultimately by individual
> countries (most likely regulators).

My sense is that what the ITU wants is NOT to compete with ICANN, but they
would like to be a (global) registry under ICANN.  This is inline with what
the ITU guy said.

> ...which reminded me, there are some clauses in the currently proposed CCK
> regulations about Users/ISPs reporting the IP numbers of their servers/email
> systems. Could this be a coincidence or the first stage in a concerted
> effort in line with ITU of sharing control over these numbers

This sounds ominous, but is orthogonal to todays contretemps.

> ....is this a good thing for the industry?

NO.

There is a "*Managing Internet Addresses: Global and regional
viewpoint<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/index.php/component/chronocontact/?chronoformname=WSProposals2009View&wspid=271>
*" workshop on now in Room 4.

--
Cheers,