[kictanet] landmark visit by Sir Tim Berners-Lee - inventor of the World Wide Web .

James Rege james.rege at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 00:26:41 EAT 2009

Muriuki,
That is very well summarized about such a personality, whom we are
lucky to host.  I think we need to market ourselves more in Kenya/East
Africa (the ICT sector). It will be a good thing to do.  Our KIKTANET
is very much praised out there as having so many ICT experts, and are
contributing freely.  And I hope the majority of us can code at least
in one language,  or be able to route even a video monitor.  We have
just returned from Washington DC together with my colleague Hon Gumbo
and Parliament ICT department staff, where we attended the World e-
Parliament.  There was a lot of talk about ICT development in our
region.  In fact the feeling is that the region is the one to watch in
the 21st century, in this regard.  We must encourage our young people
who from time to time get opportunity to attend the industry
conferences to work very hard and be our ambassadors.  ICT will sure
sustain our economy, especially if the AG can kindly give us the FOI.

In Parliament:  Our Speaker, Hon. Kenneth Marende has his head high in
his attempt to transform the 10th Parliament.  He wants
Parliamentarians to be ICT savvy — an excellent idea.  The New Media
networks such as Blog, Facebook, twitter,  and others could surelly be
ideal for Parliamentarians and institutions to embrace in enhancing
transparency and democracy, although some contributors may not be
genuine and serious in their contributions ( we also need to look at
cyber law and protectionism).  I noticed that City Council is now
blogging, and for the first time I learned that there is a law out
there since 1940s which stipulates that if your dog bucks in the city,
you could pay a fine...  It shows that our institutions are serious in
becoming transparent.

Hon James Rege, MP, Karachuonyo