[kictanet] The Premier B.Sc. Computer Science Programme in Kenya

Muthoni Masinde muthoni at uonbi.ac.ke
Mon Nov 9 22:21:46 EAT 2009

Hello Rad!  (what is your real name by the way?)

This is extremely useful to us; I have forwarded the mail to all my
colleagues and I can assure you that your input will not go waste.   I
highly support you on the issue of teaching the students not just
programming; our students are quite weak on things like Œtesting
specification requirements¹.

Thank you very much for this very useful piece,
Muthoni

On 11/9/09 5:32 PM, "Rad!" <conradakunga at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> career wise.
>
> 2) With regards to languages taught, like many of my colleagues while i was at
> Uni I intensely resented C, C++ and Pascal as instruction languages and loudly
> wondered why were doing such archaic languages and not jumping straight to
> Java or C#. Of course with age comes wisdom and when using higher level
> languages now I know exactly how things work at a lower level. (At this point
> I shall digress and personalize issues and commend Ms Ronge and Mr Orwa
> because I can safely speak for my year when i say we learnt data structures
> and C programming whether we wanted to or not!) I would urge the team to
> resist the temptation/pressure to remove these languages as teaching languages
> as they teach many additional things besides the actual programming like
> analytic thinking, design and discipline. They will also appreciate how data
> structures we use every day work much better
>
> However having said that, perhaps in third year something like Java or C# can
> be brought in as well.
>
> 3) Functional programming is (if i recall correctly) two units and yet there
> are many problems the industry is constantly facing especially today, most
> notably parallel programming, concurrency and mutability (Again, with age
> comes wisdom!) that functional programming addresses. If I recall correctly
> the instruction was in Scheme and Prolog. Perhaps this can be updated to use
> languages like F# or Python so that students can learn the concepts and apply
> them immediately in their day to day work
>
> 4) Industrial Attachment should be a course unit on its own
>
> 5) When it comes to programming all the effort goes into the actual code.
> Things like requirements gathering, documentation, design, testing, working as
> a team, source code control, commenting debugging etc are not touched on at
> all. As a result of these by the time a student who wants to program as a
> career is finished they have 4 years of appallingly bad habits and practices
> that need to undone for about 10-14 months (I've measured!) before they can be
> useful team members in the industry.
>
> 6) There needs to be greater synergy between industry and academia --
> hopefully some of what i have suggested will improve this disconnect.
> Universities and industry need to set up some relationships with the industry
> so that skills and knowledge can be cross pollinated.
>

> Regards
>
> Conrad

> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner
> <http://www.mailscanner.info/> , and is believed t o be clean.
> UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI IS ISO CERTIFIED
>
> The University of Nairobi is committed to providing quality services to all
> its clients. The University will monitor and review its quality performance
> from time to time through an effective implementation of the Quality
> Management System based on ISO 9001:2008 standard.

and is believed to be clean.