[kictanet] The Premier B.Sc. Computer Science Programme in Kenya

Tuma Barua tumabarua at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 17:19:40 EAT 2009

Muthoni,

I would like to thank the UoN team for this brilliant initiative. I feel
some aroma of good leadership. I know for sure, that universities are not
mandated to inject junks into the markets. It is for this reason that, I am
motivated to provide my input below.

* Consider embedding an industrial attachment(s) within the program to allow
students interact with the industries before graduating. in my opinion, this
might be a good opportunity, if used well, to have the student market
themselves (and UoN).
* Consider introducing other specializations/programs like Software
Engineering, Information Management (Refer to Computer Science Body of
Knowledge).
* UoN to take leadership and develop an organization/society responsible for
developing a common body of knowledge for all IT/IS/CS programs.Is it
possible to use this one, instead of a branded one?
* Research Project: Have the project include at least an academic and an
external supervisor (from the industry).
* Liaise with some a number of companies that can provide opportunities to
deal with a certain specific problem in the industry. UoN might partner with
these companies in commercializing the idea, if involved from the beginning.
* I think the social and professional issues are not covered well by the
current bouquet of courses.

It is good to see a university not only responsible for quantity of the
graduates but also in their quality. How else does it become competitive?

Former student.