[kictanet] The Premier B.Sc. Computer Science Programme in Kenya

Muthoni Masinde muthoni at uonbi.ac.ke
Mon Nov 9 13:40:52 EAT 2009

Agosta,
Thank you for the enquiry.  I am attaching a 6-page document containing a
brief extract of the curriculum.  We also have a 2-page questionnaire for
employers which we have distributed to a few employers.  We will be glad to
reach more employers.

We have not finalised on what kind of forum we will use to disseminate our
final Œproduct¹; I will share this with you once we have finalised.

Regards,
Muthoni

On 11/9/09 9:32 AM, "Agosta Liko" <agostal at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> (c)   The need for Kenya to participate effectively in and reap maximum
> benefits from the global information economy.
> (d)  The need to address the increasing demand for IT education in the world
> of work.
>
> The specific objectives of the Bachelor of Science (Computer Science)
> programme are:
> (a)       To present the theoretical foundations in computer science and to
> integrate these theories in a way that gives the learner deep knowledge of
> computer science
> (b)       To enable learners to use the knowledge gained to analyze, design
> and implement solutions to a wide range of real-world problems.
> (c)       To develop learners who are practical and problem solving-oriented
> and capable of life-long learning.
> (d)       To contribute to the production of computer science and
> information systems professionals required at the various levels of our
> nation?s industrial development and thereby be a partner in the industrial
> development of Kenya.
>
> PROGRAMME REVIEW GUIDELINES
> A number of us in the KICTANET list have a stake in this programme; we are
> either current/potential employers/parents/guardians of these graduates or
> we could be current/past students of this programme or even policy makers in
> relevant sectors.  We will appreciate if you could share with us your
> general views on the following two issues:
>
> 1. The kind of Computer Science graduate the market needs; in terms of
> knowledge and skills
> 2. The kind of courses you would recommend to be critical for this graduate
>
> Sent by Muthoni Masinde (Lecturer, School of Computing and Informatics) in
> consultation with:
> Christopher  Moturi (Deputy Director, School of Computing and Informatics)
> Tim Waema (Professor, School of Computing and Informatics)
>

> Thank you

> MailScanner,
> and is believed to be clean.
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI IS ISO CERTIFIED
>
> The University of Nairobi is committed to providing quality services to all
> its clients. The University will monitor and review its quality performance
> from time to time through an effective implementation of the Quality
> Management System based on ISO 9001:2008 standard.
>
> University of Nairobi Website: http://www.uonbi.ac.ke/
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner
> <http://www.mailscanner.info/> , and is believed t o be clean.
> UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI IS ISO CERTIFIED
>
> The University of Nairobi is committed to providing quality services to all
> its clients. The University will monitor and review its quality performance
> from time to time through an effective implementation of the Quality
> Management System based on ISO 9001:2008 standard.

and is believed to be clean.