[kictanet] Cable issues

emko at internetresearch.com.gh emko at internetresearch.com.gh
Sun Nov 8 17:52:55 EAT 2009

Evans,

The good news is that we dont have to forget competition, patriotism and
competition can live togther without any troubles.

The situation here is a lack of planning and lay down procedures. For
example, if Telkom Kenya has laid her fiber on the right side of the
kenyatta highway, maybe one or two other cables would go in the same duct.
For redundancy purposes, KDNs cable would be on the left side of the road
with ducting that allows other operators to also blow that cable.

A third form of redundancy and competition is for Wananchi to lay their
cable on a third road network which runs parallel so you have multiple
redundancies which are effectively competing - this requires planning and
lay down procedures which is the job of government.

Eric here