[kictanet] [Skunkworks] [ke-internetusers] Re: ICDL to be Gazetted: Is Open Office recognized?

wesley kirinya kiriinya2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 6 11:27:29 EAT 2009

Thanks Dr.Ndemo. The following concerns came to my mind:

I believe the government can use a variety of software (proprietary or not). Those software have the features in ICDL but they might be organized differently or the user needs to go through different steps to achieve same results. Therefore I think it might be very useful for anyone who has gone through the ICDL to have learnt atleast 2 of the same kind of the most popular software that the government uses e.g. for Word processing, MS Word and OpenOffice Writer.
One may argue that this may take longer time to teach ICDL but I don't believe that time is significantly long. Once a candidate has learnt the fundamentals of Word Processing through one software, it's now a matter of seeing how the same can be archieved in a different software.
I believe this has benefits for government and kenyans in general. Incase government migrates to different software e.g. OpenOffice Writer to MS Word, then the migration is smoother.

On the same subject, I think it's good to teach about interoperability of different softwares of the same kind. E.g. importing and exporting documents between different Word Processing softwares. If the government is having a hard time deciding which cars to drive I won't be surprised that some want to use MS Word while others OpenOffice Writer.

So my point is that I would suggest the candidates of the ICDL course be exposed to a variety of software.