[kictanet] Shouldn't Tea Time for Kenya Mean IDN Top-Level Domains?

alice alice at apc.org
Tue Nov 3 23:06:16 EAT 2009

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20091027_shouldnt_tea_time_for_kenya_mean_idn_tlds/

Shouldn't Tea Time for Kenya Mean IDN Top-Level Domains?
By Andrew Mack

Anyone who knows Kenya knows it is famous for tea. And while I can now
get Kenyan tea online from US companies like Starbucks, Caribou Coffee
or any number of other re-sellers, like most consumers I would vastly
prefer to cut out the middle man and buy my tea direct from Kenyan
companies. Why not?

But here's the rub. Besides me and a significant number of Brits, who
buys Kenyan tea? According to Kenya's Department of Agriculture, after
the UK the three largest buyers of Kenyan tea are Egypt, Pakistan, and
Sudan. In fact, the Arabic speaking Middle East accounts for about 25%
of world tea purchases.

To reach these customers directly, Kenyan tea producers really need the
ability to "speak their language" on the web—to provide websites and web
addresses that are all in Arabic or Urdu. However, since today's
internet doesn't allow website names in anything but Roman characters
after the dot, we've got to wait for ICANN to enable these
Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs).

Monday night here in Seoul ICANN held a reception to celebrate the
coming of IDNs for country code domains (like .eg for Egypt). It was a
love fest, complete with cocktails, slide shows and commemorative
t-shirts. And it's true, ICANN should be complimented for this
advance—however belated.

Still, as I sat there talking with delegates from Kenya I was struck by
just how limited a victory this will be—and what a missed opportunity it
is—for existing and potential e-businesses. Even to reach their best
Arabic-speaking markets with an all-Arabic website, no Kenyan company is
likely to go through the trouble and expense of buying IDN domains in
more than 20 Arabic-speaking countries.

So where does that leave the Kenyan tea industry? If I were the Kenya
Tea Development Agency, Ltd I would want to keep it simple. What I would
really want is the Arabic version of the website I already
have—www.ktdateas.com.

In the end the issue of IDNs shouldn't be about linguistics or politics,
but about economic growth and development, about making the Internet
more accessible for the billions of new users and businesses coming
online every day. Now that ICANN has committed to make IDN ccTLDs
available, why not make the most common existing TLDs—like .com
and.org—next in line?

If, as the proverb goes, "tea is liquid wisdom" then ICANN should have a
cup or two… then get about the business of bringing global TLDs to the
IDN space.

Written by Andrew Mack, Principal at AMGlobal Consulting

Related topics: Domain Names, ICANN, Internet Governance, Multilinguism,
Top-Level Domain