[kictanet] Obama on security, net neutrality, civil liberties and privacy

alice alice at apc.org
Sat May 30 10:06:45 EAT 2009

Interesting things happening in the US that will affect global Internet
governance:

President Obama's speech "Securing Our Nation's Cyber
Infrastructure",
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-the-President-on-Securing-Our-Nations-Cyber-Infrastructure/>
includes the paragraph:

"Let me also be clear about what we will not do.  Our pursuit of
cybersecurity will not -- I repeat, will not include -- monitoring
private sector networks or Internet traffic.  We will preserve and
protect the personal privacy and civil liberties that we cherish as
Americans.  Indeed, I remain firmly committed to net neutrality so we
can keep the Internet as it should be -- open and free."

Administration supporting network neutrality, security *and* civil
liberty and privacy.

Next:

ICANN oversight hearing in the Congress, Thursday June 4. "Event:
'Oversight Of The Internet Corporation For Assigned Names And Numbers
(ICANN)' "
<http://energycommerce.house.gov/index.php?option=com_jcalpro&Itemid=54&extmode=view&extid=47>

Andrew McLaughlin will join the Obama
administration as Deputy Chief Technology Officer, reporting to
Aneesh Chopra
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/29/googles-top-policy-exec-to-join-obama-administration/>.
You can see Andrew talking about technology and government in this
video from the Obama transition
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InI5n3NTvR4>.