[kictanet] IG Discussions- Day 2 of 10: Infrastructure Issues-Submarine Cables

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon May 11 08:11:52 EAT 2009

That is a great idea Mwende, in actual sense our local councils generate a
lot of revenue in terms of rates which is squandered through fictitious
procurements (Call it buying air as Philip Kisia would say) Maybe it is time
to involve the local councils as key stakeholders in the infrastructure
business since they have a lot of say in so far as Jurisdiction issues in
the Municipialities are concerned

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 8:47 PM, mwende njiraini
<mwende.njiraini at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would like to contribute to the discussion on residential broadband
> access though belatedly. Installing fibre for last mile access involves a
> substantial commitment of fixed costs, mainly associated with civil works.
>
> To reduce this capital cost some municipalities are installing multiple
> ‘dark’ fibre as it is economical to install substantial excess capacity,
> relative to initial demand. One such initiative is by the city of Stockholm,
> in Sweden, which owns and operates an open and operator-neutral
> infrastructure for telephone and data communications, under a city chartered
> company, Stokab.
>
> Stokab was founded in 1994 when the telecommunications sector was fully
> liberalised due to the reluctance of the incumbent operator to meet the
> demand for high capacity networks.  Since then, the company has provided
> fibre optic infrastructure on an open access basis to service providers and
> large businesses including telecommunication operators, ISPs, cable
> television networks, mobile telephone operators, municipalities, county
> councils, major banks, insurance companies, multi-sited organisations and
> media companies based in the commercial districts and industrial areas of
> Stockholm.
>
> The aim of the company is to contribute to making Stockholm an ICT capital
> by lowering the barriers to market entry for service providers, and
> therefore increasing competition. The guiding philosophy for the
> establishment of the city network is that telecommunications infrastructure
> should be provided as a ‘public good’ facilitating access to advanced
> communications services to all citizens. Stokab’s open access network (OAN),
> hopes to contribute to improved welfare and greater efficiency of
> municipality services, reduce the need to travel and thus ease traffic
> congestion ultimately contributing to a better environment.
>
> May be this is an initiative that municipalities in Kenya may wish to
> consider.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Mwende
>
> *Disclaimer: Views expressed here (except those quoted or referenced) are
> the author’s own*
>
> References
>
>    1. Stokab. http://www.stokab.se/templates/StandardPage.aspx?id=306
>    2. Lehr, W., Sirbu, M. Gillett, S. (2004) *Broadband Open Access:
>    Lessons from Municipal Network Case Studies*.
>    http://people.csail.mit.edu/wlehr/Lehr-Papers_files/Lehr%20Sirbu%20Gillett%20Broadband%20Open%20Access.pdf
>    3. Regulatory Barriers For Fibre Deployment:  The “Legacy Trap” -
>    Barriers to Fibre Deployments in the EU.
>    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/telecoms_review1/responses/a_h/ftth.pdf
>

> * *On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Michuki Mwangi <michuki at swiftkenya.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Walu, et al,
>>
>> Access:

> [...]

Barrack O. Otieno
ISSEN CONSULTING
Tel:
+254721325277
+254733206359
http://projectdiscovery.or.ke
To give up the task of reforming society is to give up ones responsibility
as a free man.
Alan Paton, South Africa