[kictanet] [ke-internetusers] Breaking News: Kenyan InternetCommunity comes face to face with new Legislation

Odhiambo ワシントン odhiambo at gmail.com
Sun May 10 14:23:52 EAT 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 1:42 PM, alice munyua <alice at apc.org> wrote:

> There seems to be some  misunderstanding  about what the KCA 2009  does?
>
> It is the introduction of liberalisation at
> the sub domain level by creating a
> competitive registrar model?  KENIC remains the ccTLD manager of the whole
> dot KE namespace and
> registry operator. What the KCA amendment does only means if a registered
> company wants to manage/sell the second level, i.e. .co.ke, .sc.ke etc.
> they would need to get a  license from CCK to become an registrar.

Given that ISPs and other registered companies have been selling (not
managing, as that has always done by KENIC) the 2nd level domains as
"registrars" already, does that KCA 2009 section now require them to obtain
special licensing different that what they have always used?
Does that section all foresee a situation where any of those registered
companies might want to "manage" the 2nd level domains? Hmm, I wonder in
what context it takes the "manage" aspect. KENIC have setup systems that we
think of as the only ones used to "manage" for these domains. I wonder
whether what that section of the law foresees is a situation where
someorganizations will set up competing systems (to KENIC).
Is there, perhaps, a precedent somewhere where several organizations have
been licensed to "manage" ccTLDs at the 2nd level?
If "manage", perhaps, means just being control of the DNS infrastructure for
the domain names as it is now, then perhaps the law was meant to just fill
the void of no law having been there in the first place?

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,