[kictanet] IG Discussion 2009, Day 8 of 10 - National Cybersecurity strategies

mwende njiraini mwende.njiraini at gmail.com
Wed May 6 02:42:11 EAT 2009

Good morning!

Today we continue to build on previous discussions on cybersecurity, with a
view of seeking your contributions in the development a national
cyber-security strategy.

The Kenya Communications (Amendment) Act, 2009 (
http://www.communication.go.ke/media.asp?id=775) contains the following
provisions with regard to cybersecurity:

   - Unauthorized access to computer data,
   - Access with intent to commit offences
   - Unauthorized access to and interception of computer service,
   - Unauthorized modification of computer material,
   - Damaging or denying access to computer system,
   - Unauthorized disclosure of password,
   - Unlawful possession of devices and data,
   - Electronic fraud,
   - Tampering with computer source documents,
   - Publishing of obscene information in electronic form,
   - Publication for fraudulent purpose and
   - Unauthorized access to protected systems

Harry Delano (email 29th April) “Are our cybersecurity regulations (law) up
to the task, to protect us...?”

In answering this question we may wish to consider the issue of
jurisdiction, the ability of the judicial system to make a ruling with
regards to a crime committed through the internet by extra-territorial
elements and secondly the role of arbitration as an Alternative Dispute
Resolution (ADR) mechanism (http://www.ciarbkenya.org/).

Kind regards
Mwende

*Disclaimer: Views expressed here (apart from those quoted/referenced) are
the author’s own*